Friday, July 8, 2011

Who’s Who in Pieced Barbara Heep

I’ve been asked more than once who would interview ME!  I guess we can answer that! HA!  I’m German-Irish and grew up in El PasoTexas.  I joined the Navy in 1968 and retired after 20 years in 1988.   At the end of my enlistment, my dear friend Janet Dawson, insisted I move up to the Bay Area from San Diego as this is where I had a larger support system. (My aunt and uncle lived here as well).  So, that’s how I ended up in San Leandro.

The first appliance I ever purchased was a sewing machine. I had that Kenmore for 20 years when I upgraded to a newer Kenmore – which is still my primary sewing machine. It is old, and has few features, but I love that little workhorse. I know it so well. I don’t even have to stop and think about how to make it go faster – like I do with my fancy embroidery Kenmore.  Do you recognize a theme here?  Kenmore is a trusted product. 

Hand crafts, hand embroidery, needlepoint and cross stitch were my favorite creative outlets but I always enjoyed sewing. However, I only began quilting in 2000. My Star Trek buddy (yep, I’m a huge Trekkie) Fran Ford, the president of our Star Trek club, had been attending Kathy’s class for some time. She invited me to join her and I started in the middle of the term in Baby Beginners.  So I took Baby Beginners again the next semester AND the next semester. Finally, Kathy kicked me out of Baby Beginners and I eventually finished a quilt two years later.  Did anybody else have trouble with the math? I mean ¼ inch – isn’t that a fraction!!!

It took a few years before I felt accepted in the class so when I finally made friends I was super bonded to the ladies. I think that is why, when Kathy passed away, I not only lost my dear teacher, but I was afraid I had lost my whole network of quilt friends. Fortunately, our dear Joy picked up the mantle and brought us together to continue Kathy’s legacy.  I joined Pieced Together Quilters shortly after I met Joy when she came to the Plaque Dedication naming the sewing classroom in honor of Kathy.

I am so grateful to Joy and to you my quilting sisters. I would be so sad without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment