Friday, December 31, 2010

Cutting Table

For a long time I just used my dining room table for a cutting table – the ping pong table worked pretty well too. Then my husband was on a job and he found a discarded, solid wood door leaning against a wall – the guy in charge gave it to my husband for
me…..yippee!!

I went and bought four cabinets at Target for around $25 a piece – some assembly required.  We put those together and put the 4 X 7 door on top.  My husband bolted it to the cabinets and also to the wall to give it good stability.




It’s wonderful – I can manage pretty large pieces of fabric and there’s a nice surface to work on for laying out fabric and piecing.

If you have the room – look around for a solid door that isn’t being used.  It is a find!  Otherwise you can buy a sanded piece of plywood or laminate-topped plywood at a hardware store. 

Most of you already have your rooms set up – but if you are just realizing that quilting will be a long-term commitment or that you need to change things up a bit, hopefully these ideas will get you started.

More next week….



The sewing machine joins what the scissors have cut asunder, plus whatever else comes in its path.  ~Mason Cooley

No comments:

Post a Comment