Thursday, December 30, 2010

Sewing Tables

My brother gave me this wonderful desk when I was about 13.  I’ve had it since then and it has served many functions:  student desk, changing table, sewing table, school teacher’s desk, and computer desk.  When I acquired my new sewing machine a couple of years ago, I moved onto a laminate table, it was wider and longer and gave me more table space to work with quilts.  I moved the desk so that it was close by, and I longingly wished it could be my sewing table – mostly because of the four awesome drawers it possessed!

Then one lazy afternoon, my husband came up with a great idea – how about combine the two.  Granted, it would change my desk forever, but it was worth it.  He removed the metal legs from the laminate table top and then centered the top on the desk and bolted it down. 


I now have access to the wonderful drawers and the large table top to work with projects that require a bit more room.  So if you’re looking for a table for your sewing machine, believe me, I know what that’s like – sometimes the kitchen or dining room table is the best choice out there, but you might consider a desk and laminate top (easily found at most thrift stores) and put something together that will be functional in many ways!


Tomorrow we’ll look at cutting tables, cabinets, and shelving.



I love sewing and have plenty of material witnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment