Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Organizing Your Sewing Room

When I moved to California about 6 years ago, I left behind several boxes of fabric – I had no idea that I would be sewing so much – quilting, needing scraps of fabric, etc.  I didn’t even know what a “stash” was….now that is funny!  So, when I started taking classes in 2006, I had to start from scratch. 

I went and bought all the fabric for my sampler quilt and then more for the next one, etc.  It was a whole new world for me.  When we made the flower basket pillows, I remember telling people at class that I didn’t have any green fabrics suitable for the leaves.  (I made four of these pillows for Mother’s Day that year – 2008).  Thankfully, Lorraine Ryan came to the rescue and brought me a sandwich bag full of an assortment of green scraps – perfect for all the leaves I appliquéd that year!  It was a start.

Now that I have been sewing quilts and wall hangings and table runners for awhile, I have quite a few scraps – odds and ends – all different colors and shapes.  I went to Wal-Mart and purchased plastic shoe boxes – they were about $1 a piece.  I sorted all my scraps into these boxes – by color.  These boxes stack nicely above my color-coded stash on my bookshelf.  It works beautifully and looks nice too.  Be sure you get the clear shoe boxes so you can see the colors inside.  The next step would be to cut these scraps into strips and/or blocks of varying sizes – next time I’m sitting around with nothing to do – I think I’ll do that!  (Ha Ha)




Since we’re gearing back up for classes soon – take a little time and get things organized.  Scraps sorted or tossed, colors organized.  The wall-hanging project we’ll start with this next term will be well-suited to scraps or fat quarters, so your efforts will be worth it!

Tomorrow we’ll talk about table tops/sewing tables/cutting tables/drawers and cupboards and bookshelves.


I am a material girl. 
Wanna see my fabric collection?

No comments:

Post a Comment